2017 Sights & Sounds of Cuba – Small Group Tour
January 5 – 13, 2017 from Tampa || January 14 – 22, 2017 from Miami
***Additional 2017 departure dates pending***
Led by Tour Manager, Jan Moester | Limited to 15 travelers
This small group escorted tour will explore the sights and sounds of Cuba in Lakani style. See the old and new juxtaposition in architecture, automobiles and ways of life. Hear Latin and African rhythms and enjoy the emerging culinary creations of new chefs.
Highlights & Inclusions
- Old Havana, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with visits of Plaza de la Cathedral, the Plaza de Armas, and the Used Booksellers Market
- “Fusterlandia,” the home and surrounding neighborhood of “The Picasso of the Caribbean,” Jose Fuster
- Cojimar – Finca Vigia, the restored final home of Ernest Hemingway sits above the picturesque fishing village
- Trinidad, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the best preserved old cities in the Caribbean region
- Che Guevarra Museum and Mausoleum in Santa Clara
- Diverse architecture encompassing colonial, art nouveau, art deco and eclectic design.
- Informative open discussion with an expert on US/Cuba relations
- Art, music and special community projects
- Best Available Accommodations
- All meals
- Gratuities for lodging, meals, local guides and drivers
- Services of Lakani Tour Manager
Price to be announced
January - $690 per person
Intra-Tour Air (FL/Cuba/FL)
Exact itinerary varies by departure, ask for more details.
Havana •Enjoy a walking tour of Old Havana including the Plaza de Armas, the Used Booksellers Market, and Plaza de la Cathedral and La Florida Bar (a Hemingway favorite). Visit the Plaza de la Revolucion, host to many political rallies.
Visit the Museo de la Revolucion in the building that was the Presidential Palace until 1959. See the “Granma Memorial”, the yacht used to transport 82 revolutionaries from Mexico to Cuba including Fidel and Raul Castro and Che Guevara in 1956.
Visit the Museo de Belles Artes (Fine Arts Museum), concentrating on the Cuban Section of this massive museum. Have a scenic tour through the local fishing village of Cojimar, the setting for ‘The Old Man and the Sea” where we will have lunch. Visit Finca Vigia, Ernest Hemingway’s Cuban home and currently a national museum. Tour the impoverished yet vibrant barrio of Muraleando where a small group of artists volunteer their time and skills to help establish a center for arts, music, dance, and theater. Visit an Artisans Market located on the Malecon.
See the sprawling, incredible Cemetery of Christopher Columbus that does not contain Christopher Columbus’ remains. Visit Angles del Futuro, a community project teaching circus arts to local children.
Cienfuegos •Explore the main square, Parque Marti, and the Punta Gordo Peninsula.
Trinidad •In the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Trinidad, visit the Architecture Museum with displays of historic architectural elements such as doors, windows and moldings. See Cuba’s oldest church, the Iglesia de la Santisma. Visit the Artisans Market located near the main plaza.
Santa Clara •Visit the Santa Clara Music and Performing Arts School and the Che Guevarra Museum before returning to Havana.
This departure is a “People-to-People” program offered under a General License approved by the U. S. Treasury Dept.